South Carolina is a beautiful state in the southeastern United States. It has a rich history and culture and beautiful beaches. As a result, it’s not hard to find some interesting quotes about South Carolina.
We’ve aggregated some of the best quotes here to give you a glimpse into the many reasons South Carolina is so interesting.
25 Quotes About South Carolina
South Carolina might be a mystery to those outside the southeastern United States. Being a relatively smaller state, it carries a complex historical narrative. To offer an understanding of the things that shape the state’s identity, we have organized these quotes about South Carolina into five categories.
Quotes For The People of South Carolina
While the south has a checkered past, it is also known for its southern hospitality. It is hard to know whether someone is supportive or passive-aggressive when they say, “Bless Your Heart.”
Still, that’s what makes the south what it is. Love it or hate it, it’s a unique and rich culture. Here are five quotes for the people of South Carolina:
- “I have campaigned all over the state of South Carolina. It is the friendliest state in the country. And truly here people judge you by the content of your character not the color of your skin.” – Tim Scott
- “I’m from the South originally. I grew up in South Carolina definitely learning about manners and being proper and having to go to cotillions.” – Anna Camp
- “Charleston is an amazing place. I probably didn’t appreciate it enough when I was growing up.” – Thomas Gibson
- “Growing up in Ridgeville, South Carolina, pretty much all I saw was people working hard.” – AJ Green
- “I’m going back to dignity and grace. I’m going back to Charleston, where I belong.” – Rhett Butler, Gone With The Wind
Clearly, you should consider Charleston or Hilton Head for your next family vacation. 😎
Quotes On the History of South Carolina
You can’t escape the state’s history. South Carolina provided around 60,000 troops for the Confederate Army, and old plantations still scatter throughout the state. On the other hand, Rainbow Row and The Battery in Charleston offer a beautiful glimpse into a world gone by.
South Carolina’s history has two very different sides of the same coin. Here are five quotes on the history of South Carolina:
- “South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum.” – James L. Petigru.
- “I grew up in Beaufort, South Carolina, in a six-room farmhouse with a couple of leaning posts to keep it from fallin’. I came up in a time when men were men.” – Joe Frazier
- “South Carolina is not a state; it is a cult.” – Pat Conroy
- “On matters of race, South Carolina has a tough history. We all know that. Many of us have seen it in our own lives – in the lives of our parents and our grandparents. We don’t need reminders.” – Nikki Haley
- “The rich and complex history of South Carolina is the history of the African diaspora, and in many ways, I felt acutely the sense of this collective memory of migration, suffering, and transformation while living in South Carolina.” – Kwame Dawes
Quotes For the Geography of South Carolina
While it might be hot and humid, South Carolina is a truly beautiful state. The Palmetto trees feel homey and signal that the beaches aren’t far away. The coastal towns are world famous, but it is lesser known that South Carolina also has mountains and great hiking. Here are five quotes for the geography of South Carolina:
- “In my mind, I’m going to Carolina, I’m going to Carolina in my mind.” – James Taylor
- “South Carolina is in the spring a paradise, in the summer a hell, and in the autumn a hospital.” – Eliza Lucas Pinckney
- “I got lost in the rhythm of the waves of the ocean. Lost in the sunset too.” – Darius Rucker
- “It’s between me, the sand, and the sea. Carolina knows.” – Taylor Swift, Carolina
- “She makes me feel like home’s not so far away. She feels like Carolina.” – Parmalee, Carolina
Quotes For the Culture of South Carolina
South Carolina means different things to different people, but one thing is for sure. The state offers a unique culture full of golf courses and beautiful beach towns. Plus, you better believe they take college football seriously. Clemson and South Carolina form one of the more intense rivalries in college sports.
All this creates a distinct environment that calls those from Carolina back home to Carolina. Here are five quotes for the culture of South Carolina:
- “Here, Fridays were dedicated to the two Bs–Beach and Boats.” – Laura Miller, Butterfly Weeds
- “South Carolina is a great place to be from.” – Tim Scott
- “Oh, Carolina. Yeah, when I get back home to you we’re gonna start a fire.” – NEEDTOBREATHE
- “The American Dream is alive and well for some, but not all Americans. Here in South Carolina, rural hospitals are closing, schools are underfunded, and our coasts are threatened by offshore drilling.” – Jaime Harrison
- “Carolina, Keep callin’ me home.” – Eric Church, Carolina
Quotes For the Food of South Carolina
Seafood and barbeque? It’s hard to beat that combination. Of course, North Carolina might be better known for its barbecue. We love South Carolina for its fresh seafood. Visit Charleston or Hilton Head, and we anticipate you will leave happy and full. Here are five quotes for the food of South Carolina:
- “Back home in South Carolina, you have a lot of little soul food restaurants you can run to and get some quick, decent food.” – Gaines Adams
- “I’m good in the kitchen. I can cook seafood, collard greens, black-eyed peas.” – Monique Coleman
- “As a child in South Carolina, I spent summers like so many children – sitting on my grandparents’ back porch with my siblings, spitting watermelon seeds into the garden or, even worse, swallowing them and trembling as my older brother and sister spoke of the vine that was probably already growing in my belly.” – Jacqueline Woodson
- “Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it’s a start.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “Southern barbecue is the closest thing we have in the U.S. to Europe’s wines or cheeses. Drive a hundred miles and the barbecue changes.” – John Shelton Reed
Reasons We Love South Carolina
Which Carolina is better? We will let you decide that, but South Carolina offers beautiful beaches and fantastic food.
In fact, the Carolinas are famous for the beach and mountain adventures, great food, vibrant cities, and rich history worth exploring. We recommend you check out some fun facts about South Carolina, which tell an interesting story.
Charleston and Greenville are our favorite cities, but Columbia is the state capital and has a zoo worth visiting. And while Charlotte is in North Carolina, the suburbs stretch deep into South Carolina.
For example, Carowinds is a theme park that straddles the state border, and there are plenty of other things to do in Charlotte, too.
Still, when it comes to the heart of South Carolina, Greenville is our favorite inland destination, and Charleston (and Folly Beach) is our favorite coastal destination.
Famous People From South Carolina
With such a rich history, it should come as no surprise that there is an eclectic list of individuals from South Carolina. You can piece that together a little bit from the quotes about South Carolina listed above.
Peruse this list of individuals from South Carolina, and consider the diverse experiences that many of them had when growing up in the state.
- James Brown, Barnwell, SC – Musician and Godfather of Soul
- Althea Gibson, Silver, SC – Tennis player and Wimbledon champion
- Dizzy Gillespie, Cheraw, SC – Jazz musician and trumpeter
- Pat Conroy, Grew up in Beaufort, SC – author of “The Prince of Tides” and “The Great Santini”
- Stephen Colbert, Grew up in James Island, SC – Comedian, and TV host
- Viola Davis, Saint Matthews, SC – Actress and producer, Academy Award winner
- John C. Calhoun, Abbeville, SC – Politician and seventh Vice President of the United States
- Aziz Ansari, Columbia, SC – Actor, comedian, and writer
- Darius Rucker, Charleston, SC – Musician and lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish
- Eartha Kitt, North, SC – Actress, singer, and dancer.
Pick Your Favorite Quote About South Carolina
From the beautiful beaches to the delicious coastal cuisine, South Carolina clearly has a lot to offer. The list of quotes about South Carolina above also offers a glimpse into the state’s painful history, which is cause for reflection.
Today, the state offers a rich culture and distinct vibe, making it a great place to work or live. We hope you enjoyed these quotes about South Carolina! Contact us if you have any favorites that you think we should add to the list!